Fixing Your Tax Return: 1040X

This post was updated in April 2018

If you’ve already filed your 2017 tax return, and you realize you’ve made a mistake, don’t panic. The IRS created Form 1040X just for situations like this. If you accidentally neglected to report all of your income or you didn’t claim a credit, you can file an amended or corrected return using Form 1040X, otherwise known as an Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

When you send in your 1040X form, be sure to include copies of any schedules that have been changed or any W-2 Form(s) you did not originally include. Remember, you can only file Form 1040X after you’ve filed your original return. Generally, for a credit or refund, you must send in your amended tax return within 3 years (including extensions) after the date you filed your original return (or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later).

You can expect the IRS to take 8-12 weeks to process your amended return.

Start filling out your 1040X

Don’t know where to start? Check out this tutorial video:

Thanks for stopping by. Did you know PDFfiller allows you to upload your own forms too? You can type on any form, then fax, eSign, email it, save it, and so much more. Check us out and let us know what you think.



Complete documents and create templates using PDFiller’s powerful editor.
Get your free 30-day trial today