Other Types of IRS Form 1040

As we discussed in last week’s post, Form 1040 is the IRS form that most Americans will use to file their tax returns this year. Beyond the most common versions, there are a few variations to Form 1040 that taxpayers may need for certain situations.

Form 1040X is an amended tax return with corrections to previously submitted 1040 Forms (including 1040EZ, 1040A, and others). It looks very similar to the regular Form 1040, with additional sections to explain corrections made. In most cases, a Form 1040X can be submitted up to 3 years after you filed the original (and incorrect) Form 1040. (See also PDFfiller’s 2012 1040X online form, if you need to correct tax returns for that year.)

Form 1040SS is called the U.S. Self-Employment Tax Return, and meant specifically for residents of the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, and Puerto Rico who are not required to file a U.S. income tax return because they are self-employed.

Form 1040V, or the Payment Voucher, serves as a tool to include a check or money order for any remaining tax owed. You’ll calculate this amount on your whichever Form 1040 you use, the full 1040, 1040a or 1040EZ.

PDFfiller allows you to fill out your tax forms and any other type of document online and with ease. For more information this tax season, check out our other tax resources to make your filing this year even easier!



Fill out your tax forms and any other type of document online quickly and easily with PDFfiller.
Get a 30-day free trial