Form 990 & 990EZ: Tax Returns for Exempt Organizations

This post was updated in April 2018

An organization with 501(c) status is exempt from taxation by the federal government, but that doesn’t mean it is exempt from filing a return. Instead of reporting finances for the purpose of paying tax, IRS Form 990 is a public document that details where a public charity’s money goes (it also allows for explanations of these expenses). As such, many donors will look at the most recent Form 990 for an organization before deciding to make a contribution.

It’s important to know which type of 990 form to use: the regular Form 990, or the Form 990-EZ. The difference between the two is in how much money an organization made and held in assets that year.

  • For Form 990, gross receipts should be greater than or equal to $200,000 and total assets were greater than or equal to $500,000.
  • You should use Form 990-EZ if the organization’s gross receipts were less than $200,000 and total assets were less than $500,000.

PDFfiller can help you fill out your organization’s Form 990 or 990-EZ in no time at all! Click here to get started on the 2017 Form 990 online, or click here to start filling out the 2017 Form 990-EZ. With our online editing, signing, and sharing tools, you can finish your organization’s tax forms faster than ever before. And if you need more help filling out this form, see the how-to video below.



Find and complete any form in PDFfiller’s tax form catalog.

Get a 30-day free trial