CMS 40B How to Enroll in Outpatient Medical Insurance

application medicare part b, enrollment medicare part b, cms40b, cms 40b, form medicare part b, cms 40b medicare, apply for medicare part b, form part b, form cms 40b, cms 40b application enrollment, part b, application part b online, application medicare, application part b, medicare part b enrollment form

The Application for Medicare Part B – Form CMS 40B

What should be done to ensure proper medical care should it becomes necessary in your golden years? One important step is enrolling in complete Medicare Insurance. If you already use Part A, then you should apply for Medicare Part B. Let’s learn more about how to accomplish this using Form CMS 40B.

Who needs a CMS 40B?

US citizens or residents who have lived in the US territory for at least five years become eligible for health insurance when they turn 65, if they worked and paid into the system. Under Medicare Law, younger individuals with disabilities, end-stage renal disease or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis must be automatically enrolled in both Part A and Part B on the 25th month since the initial Social Security Disability benefit was paid.

If you are already in Medicare Part A, you should apply for Medicare Part B by filing Form CMS-40B, which is the Application for Enrollment in Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance). If you don’t have Part A, the procedure for signing up for medical insurance will differ.  For details, you should contact your local SSA office.

What is the Application for Enrollment in Medicare Part B Form for?

Completing the enrollment form is the only accepted way for individuals to apply for Medicare Part B. This form provides all the information required by the Social Security Administration to process the request.

Is Form CMS 40B accompanied by other forms?

An applicant enrolled in Part A but not in Part B who wants to submit an application within a Special Enrollment Period (SEP), besides completing the CMS-40B should also complete and attach CMS Form L564.

When is the Application for Enrollment in Medicare Part B Form due?

If your Medicare coverage hasn’t started automatically, you should consider applying during one of three possible enrollment periods:
• Initial Enrollment Period (IEP)
• General Enrollment Period (GEP)
• Special Enrollment Period (SEP)

You should apply during an IEP if you didn’t sign up for Part B while applying for Medicare. The Initial Enrollment Period is individual and depends on applicants’ dates of birth. It lasts for seven months – three months preceding the claimant’s 65th birthday, the month of the 65th birthday and three months after it.

The GEP has strict time limitations; it lasts from January 1st till March 31th every year.
Signing up for Plan B (and Plan A too) can also be accomplished during the SEP – Special Enrollment Period. It lasts for eight months after your employment is over, or after your group health plan coverage under employment ends.

How do I fill out the Application for Enrollment in Medicare Part B Form?

PDFFiller’s fillable CMS 40B Form is a four-page document.  The form occupies only one page while the other three pages consist of instructions.
The form requires covering the following items:
• Social Security Claim Number
• Full Name
• Address
• Phone Number
• Signature and Date

Where do I send CMS 40B Form?

The completed, dated and signed Application for Enrollment in Medicare Part B should be submitted to the nearest SSA office in your state. The address can be found by searching for your zip code on the SSA website.