The DS 64: How to Cope with the Loss of a US Passport

ds 64, form ds 64, ds 64 lost passport, ds 64 form, ds 64 passport, passport form ds 64, ds64, ds64 form, us passport form ds 64, lost passport form ds 64, ds 64 template, ds64 passport form, passport ds 64, passport form ds64, ds 64 form template

Form DS 64 – Your Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen U.S. Passport Book or Card

This blog is devoted to one of those situations that can happen to anyone. It’s about the loss of a US passport. Let’s take a look at the main document by which the State Department is notified of a passport loss – Form DS 64.

Who needs a Form DS 64?

If your passport has been lost or stolen, you have an obligation to notify the authorities by submitting the DS-64 form. Notification is necessary firstly to protect you from fraud, and secondly, to prevent illegal border crossing by other people using your documents.

After submitting this form your lost or stolen passport is canceled and deemed void. This means that a record of it will be included in the Consular Lost and Stolen Passport System to prevent a misuse of your passport. If your lost passport is found later, the Consular Unit should be notified of the cancellation.

Note that this DS-64 form can be used for both a lost US Passport book and a lost US Passport card.

What is Form DS 64 for?

The DS-64 form, “Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen U.S. Passport Book and/or Card”, is a document which certifies that you have lost your passport, or it has been stolen. This one-page form contains the following items to be filled out:
• Indication of the type of lost passport;
• Identifying information;
• Lost or stolen U.S. passport book/card information;
• Final declaration to be signed.
For a minor under 16, a DS-64 must be signed by both parents or legal guardian(s).
Based on the information you provide, the Department of State will cancel the lost passport.

Is Form DS 64 accompanied by other forms?

If a minor who lost their passport belongs to only one guardian, the form must be accompanied by a court order certifying this fact. In all other cases, the DS 64 form does not need to be accompanied by other documents.

This form is required as a supplement to your DS-11 Application for a US Passport form if you not only claim a loss, but also apply to get a new passport. If you do not need a new passport and do not file Form DS-11, you should attach a government-issued photo identification (driver’s license or a state-issued identification card) to the DS-64.

How do I fill out Form DS 64?

To fill out the DS-64, you simply need to provide personal and passport data, together with the affirmation of the fact of loss.

Where do I send Form DS 64?

The completed DS 64 form should be directed to the following address:

U.S. Department of State
CA/PPT/S/L/LE, 4th floor
1150 Passport Services PL
Dulles, VA 20189-1150.

When applying for a new U.S. passport, DS-64 and DS-11 forms should be submitted to any designated acceptance facility, U.S. Passport Agency, U.S. Embassy, or U.S. consulate abroad.